Friday, November 16, 2012

Paint Party Friday Week 36 Year 2 Check In Featured Artist: Linda Richardson

image courtesy of Linda Richardson
Welcome to Week 36 of Paint Party Friday (Year 2) and to the next edition of our Featured Artist Series! (Would you like to be a PPF Featured Artist? Please click here for details!) This week's featured artist is an avid art journaler, enthusiastic experimenter, and passionate painter with creativity that is sure to inspire.  Please welcome Linda Richardson!

Please tell us a bit about your personal history with painting. (When did you start painting? How has your painting evolved since you first started?)
I have either painted, crafted, scrapbooked, quilted, or sewn all my life. Dabbling in one thing or the other, I have never really settled to anything in particular – until I came across Art Journals! Then I was hooked! I loved the freedom art journalling gave me to be creative, to get messy, to express myself in weird and random ways, or to be focused. I did a couple of online art courses, which I loved, and at that moment, when I realised 'I Could Do This', I decided that being creative was how I wanted spend my days, and I committed to art. From that time (about 18 months ago) I have gradually invested more time, resources, and supplies in learning and exploring, and being creative. From art journals, I rapidly progressed to being interested in portraits, quirky illustrations, pastels, oils...you name it! I'm still exploring, and haven't settled on one thing just yet, but I do have favourites.

I started out with an art journal and some watercolours, then a small desk to art journal on, to now having a whole space in the garage! I am fortunate in that, because I don't work, I have time through my day to paint. I am committed to developing as an artist, to see where this can go, and whether I can make it work even in a quasi business sense.  


image courtesy of Linda Richardson
What are your favorite techniques, media, and tools to use in creating your paintings?
At the moment I swing between oil painting, pastel and watercolour – either individually or together as a mixed media. I love to use recycled ephemera, and old linen and lace doilys. To start with a random bit of paper, or scrap of linen embroidery, and then use it in some way in art is interesting, and I like the way it adds extra dimension and meaning to the painting.

image courtesy of Linda Richardson

I love oil painting. I love the colours, the smell of the linseed oil, the way it dries with a beautiful sheen, the intensity – almost everything about it! I love pastels for their smudyness, the freedom they give to work large and loose, and the beautiful boxes of bright colourful sticks! I love watercolour for it's quick drying, quick application, and lovely luminous colour!
What is your favorite thing to paint? Why?
I don't really have a favorite thing. I tend to go with whats in front of me, a recent photograph or place I've been to that inspired me, a face I'd like to draw, or to try out a tool in a new or different way, or see if I can paint the same thing again, or I challenge myself to do something I've never done before, like paint a landscape in pastel, paint an oil using a palette knife, etc.
image courtesy of Linda Richardson

What is your proudest painting moment and/or greatest painting achievement so far?
My proudest moment was being asked to paint a work on commission. 'For Ellie' has a story behind it, and will always have a special place in my heart. It was at this moment that I really accepted myself as an artist.



What's next in your painting future?
I like to keep things moving, so more experimenting as I continue to develop my arts practise. I might need to consider just focusing on one thing (or maybe two), but that hasn't happened yet!

**

Thanks so much for a lovely interview, Linda... Your exuberant experimentation is an inspiration and we look forward to seeing what's next!

To learn more about Linda, please visit her at:
http://brightwingsofsummer.blogspot.com.au/


 **Would you like to be a PPF Featured Artist? (Of course you do!)
Click
here for more details!**
Now, here is our check-in for this week's party:

As always, please make sure to use your post URL address NOT your blog home page URL address as there are many late visitors who get confused as to which post is for PPF when they arrive (after Friday) at your website. If you are unfamiliar with Mr. Linky, an explanation of how this tool works can be found on Week 1 and Week 2 Check-Ins.


Have a fun, painting filled week everyone!

69 comments:

  1. You go girl! Linda I love the way you love it and are ready to try anything in the field of art. I will be watching your next experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now thats enthusiasm and its contagious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laurie - hopefully contagious in a good way! xo L.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the wonderful art and interview, you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview and so happy to find out more about another artist from down in my neck of the woods...xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a fun interview * love the mixed media creations Linda... also I haven't been here for quite a while but just went back & read Tracey's awesome interview, LOL, Barney the freakin' dinosaur... I remember drawing him & Power Puff Girls over & over :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your mixed media work, and your willingness to experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon, always love your smiling face when you pop in for a visit!

      Delete
  7. I love the diversity of your creativity, keep exploring !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks again for the insight into another fellow blogger/artist's art world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an inspiring interview, Linda. I've always wanted to try out oils, but never really quite dared to. But now maybe I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - I put off oils for ages... then my mum gave me an old set from the 70's - unopened and still good!

      Delete
  10. Such a lovely work and interesting to hear about you :) I love no 2, 3 and 4! I would like to experiment with oil paints one day too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! By the numbers - are you referring to the Q's or the paintings? xo L.

      Delete
  11. lovely to learn about Linda and her artistic journey so far!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful interview Linda! Nice to learn more about you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really love your art, and great to discover yet another great artist here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thought I was being clever in starting an art blog, but had scheduled in the wrong time zone..............lol oh well.
    Thank you Linda for a great interview, Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really enjoyed the interview with Linda. It is nice to know you started with art journals! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzy, glad you did! art journals are still a fun play to Play :-) xo L.

      Delete
  16. Wonderful interview ~ I can relate to the whole thing as I am still learning ~ finding my way ~ ( A Creative Harbor) ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol - if you consider the journey - we are all still learning! xo L.

      Delete
  17. Love your mixed media Linda, great interview. Happy PPF to Eva and Kristin and everyone, stay warm and dry and keep arting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoyed the interview, great work Linda and congrats on being featured. Sorry about my double name on the log in, but I accidentally deleted the first post and number 60 is the active one. Thanks for hosting Eva and Kristin. Have a great weekend everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on being featured! This was a wonderful interview. I can identify with your desire to experiment with a variety of media, Linda. Also sorry about the double log-in. The current link is number 65.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri - thanks! I really don't need any more encouragement to experiment! Glad someone else feels the same way though - lol! xo L.

      Delete
  20. wonderful art projects and another fun interview! It's so nice to get to know an artist better. I think being a dabbler in so many things can keep one fresh and inspired. Happy PPF!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda - great name btw!! Thanks very much. xo L.

      Delete
  21. Linda, your art is so varied, you have great style!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great interview...

    Your creativity is so varied....and inspiring!

    Karenx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely art Linda! Nice interview! Happy PPF!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. great interview. talented across so many mediums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly, thanks so much! many mediums being attepmted anyways! xo L.

      Delete
  25. I love your style, especially the first haunting portrait, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - Thanks! That portait has special meaning for me... http://brightwingsofsummer.blogspot.com.au/2011/10/untitled-response.html this is the first post I did when I first finished this one. I should do a follow up as it has since been framed. Thansk for reminding me! xo L.

      Delete
  26. Love your work Linda, there's a lot of feeling in your pieces! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  27. oooooh!!! You're good!!! I love art!!! And yours is amazing! I dabble in art, but I feel like such an amateur, there is always room for improvement though and learning!! I am your newest follower by the way, I enjoy looking at the art displayed here!! Please, keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crystal - wowie, thanks! And thanks for joining my blog :-) xox L.

      Delete
  28. i am glad to know of another inspirational artist and enjoy the expanded community this interview offers. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene, interviews are great for that aren't they? thanks! xo L.

      Delete
  29. I really think experimenting is working for this artist! I too have difficulty sticking to one path, there are so many tempting things to paint out there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, thanks! I really try to do one thing... but it never sticks around for long! Temptation looms hey! xo L.

      Delete
  30. Linda, Lovely interview and yes, experimenting I believe really helps one grow whatever the field. And yes, I sure try different techniques...its so limitless and vast, so much to try out!
    Thanks Eva and Kristin :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi - nice to know there are lots of explorers out there! xo L.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Interesting interview. I like the second last image best... the eyes are very expressive. Love the textures too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have added a button to my blog to remind me about this. I hope to start looking at this page more often and participate. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete