Friday, November 9, 2012

Paint Party Friday Week 35 Year 2 Check In Featured Artist: Tracey Fletcher King



image courtesy of Tracey Fletcher King
 
Welcome to Week 36 of Paint Party Friday (Year 2) and to the next edition of our Featured Artist Series! (Would you like to be a PPF Featured Artist? Please click here for details!). This week's featured artist elevates everyday objects with her masterful mark making... Each week she wows us with her watercolors and makes us laugh with her supreme sense of humor. Please welcome Tracey Fletcher King!
 

image courtesy of Tracey Fletcher King
 
Please tell us a bit about your personal history with painting. (When did you start painting? How has your painting evolved since you first started?)
Personal histories can be a bit long winded at times so here is the speed version: ... Always loved art, writing and reading... went to college... lots of academic art classes... became a high school teacher .... taught art... met Sinus Man... got married... left teaching and went on the road because he was a touring golf pro... spent the next 5 years in hotels and on planes... had Phantom Steve... kept travelling... no art at all ... give me a break you should try living out of a suitcase with a toddler in tow... spent most of the year living in Florida... drew lots of cartoon animals and Barney the freakin dinosaur ... moved home... Sinus became a club pro... Phantom went to school... and I breathed for the first time in 9 years...
 
Spent two years trying to find my artistic rhythm again... failed most days... ate plenty of chocolate to get over it ... had two years where it sort of came together... still needed lots of chocolate and tea to get through it.... went back to college... did a masters in Art Education and majored in Creativity Theory... opened a small art school... worked out I didn’t want to go back to teaching... when I finished the bloody Masters... closed the art school and went back to painting... freaked out at rubbish skills... spent two years doing botanical art to get skills going again ... got bored stupid by all the detail... got frustrated by trying to do such concentrated work in a madhouse... got bored writing a boring blog... threw my hands up in the air and thought I would just have fun with it and draw anything and everything around me and forget all the other rubbish that had cluttered my brain for so long... voila here I am now... blogging and drawing whatever takes my fancy.

Still eat lots of chocolate and drink masses of tea... but love it all to bits and wouldn’t change a thing...


image courtesy of Tracey Fletcher King

What are your favorite techniques, media, and tools to use in creating your paintings?
I love using pens and watercolour... any sort of pen will do, though Microns are my favourites, and I even like ones that are a bit smudgey when you add water. My favourite watercolours are a little cheap wheel of colours that I attach to a palette so I have room to mix colours though I do supplement it with Permanent Rose from tube watercolours, and I would be lost without my white gouache from Art Spectrum. When I am working on canvas, I use a mix of Golden acrylics and Matisse flow acrylics as they have Australian colours which is kind of cool ... The other tool I love to use is my blog... by making the commitment to post I have to also make the commitment to paint and draw.... and I get the bonus of being able to blame my abject failure as a domestic goddess on blogging time eating into housework time... that is one tool I am never giving up.


image courtesy of Tracey Fletcher King

What is your favourite thing to paint? Why?
I love to draw inspiration from around me. I paint the things I am familiar with on an everyday basis, or things that interest me... I love tea and cooking, and my somewhat gloriously haphazard home and garden, and all of these things provide endless subject matter. I also find the things that happen in our family life inspiring and Phantom, Sinus and my adorable fur baby Mushu, are fine with me sharing the happenings ... well to tell you the truth I have never really asked them, but if they don’t want me to write about stupid things they say or do then they should stop saying and doing them!!!! Sometimes I start with writing about what has been happening and the art grows from there, and sometimes something catches my eye and I run with that, but more than anything I try not to over think it.... if I want to paint a ratty old paintbrush, or the pile of dishes on the sink then I do... anything and everything is fair game as long as it sits still...
 
What is your proudest painting moment and/or greatest painting achievement so far?
I have had a lot of proud moments and every time a painting sells, or people order prints, pendants or cards, or they commission me to do work, I get a huge kick out of it... I love that my paintings live in places as diverse as Tanzania, Belgium, Sweden, Germany, UK, USA, Canada, and all over the country here... it is a great thought that there is a little piece of me floating out there on the other side of the world.
 

image courtesy of Tracey Fletcher King

What's next in your painting future?
Despite a failed attempt at drawing and writing a tea zine earlier in the year, I have made the decision to jump in and make a zine type deal of drawing and painting tips and tricks I have learnt through experience both as a painter and a teacher. For years I have resisted any return to teaching, but then I realised that I am no longer hemmed in by curriculums and all those boring education things... I could do it my way... woohoo baby.... no rules hemming me in means it is fun to write it... and by stating it here I will have to get in and finish it!!!! You are all hereby given permission to tease me mercilessly if I get distracted and off track on that one ... and maybe one day I would like to teach an online class... but that one is just a whisper at the moment
 
I sell my work through my blog and through facebook, and a lot of people contact me and commission work that way, or have bought cards and prints of my work. I also sell through a store called The Collective Store and am hoping to expand into more bricks and mortar venues as my time management gets better.

**

Thank you for such a fun interview, Tracey... We look forward to seeing your zine and learning more about the whispers of an online class!

To learn more about Tracey, please visit her at:

 
 **Would you like to be a PPF Featured Artist? (Of course you do!)
Click
here for more details!**

Another busy party last week despite Hurricane Sandy. We hope anyone affected is unhurt and starting to dry out and get back to normal. Now, here is our check-in for this week's party:

As always, please make sure to use your post URL address NOT your blog home page URL address as there are many late visitors who get confused as to which post is for PPF when they arrive (after Friday) at your website. If you are unfamiliar with Mr. Linky, an explanation of how this tool works can be found on Week 1 and Week 2 Check-Ins.

Have a colourful and creative week everyone!

82 comments:

  1. Yay for Tracey!
    Wonderful interview!

    Thank you, Kristin and Eva!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Tracey, Your art is always realistic. . . I could reach out and touch.
    I am so sorry I wasn't able to visit the bloggers this week, I was very ill Monday night. . for 12 hours in the bathroom every 1/2 hour. Very horrible flu. Allergic to flu shots. I haven't been this ill since the late 1970s (asian). Blessings, Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the kind words Janet... hope you are all better...xx

      Delete
  3. Woohoo Tracey - you are my inspiration! "threw my hands up in the air and thought I would just have fun with it and draw anything and everything around me and forget all the other rubbish that had cluttered my brain for so long..." I love this. I have a new mantra started in the last couple of weeks as I explore mobile photography and digital painting - No Rules, Just Joy! You are the epitome of the words as I mean them. Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Kat... too kind... and love the no rules just joy mantra... have put it on a scrap of paper and it is now above my desk to remind me...xx

      Delete
  4. Wow! so great to see Tracey here! I love her blog and she always makes you laugh out loud besides being an excellent artist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to coming back and reading the interview with a cup of TEA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great interview with Tracey. I am a big fan of her work and stories. You are awesome Tracey. Thanks for your always inspiration. Thanks Eva and Kristin for hosting as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Gloria... nice starting the day with being told you are awesome... going to remind everyone else in the house you said so!!!

      Delete
  7. Lovely interview...I have always loved Tracey's art, its gorgeous!Thanks Eva & Kristin :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about Tracey's art and her way with words - she always makes me laugh and it was great reading her interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to making you laugh in wilds of Scotland....xx

      Delete
  9. Great interview, love Tracey's art and writing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Tracey's works! They are sooo cool and colorful!! And I agree with Pointy Pix: she always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mission accomplished... love that I make you smile...xx

      Delete
  11. Lovely interview and beautiful paintings Tracey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love Tracey's work, who would think kitchen stuff could look so good in a painting...but it does with Tracey's unique style. Plus her wit in writing her blog posts has me in stitches very often. Keep up the great work Tracey, we love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such kind words Ann ... it is appreciated...xx

      Delete
  13. Am another fan of Tracey's work plus her story telling. Tracey is always great fun to visit and have loved reading this interview. Thank you Tracey. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Netty... it is always a joy to visit you also...xx

      Delete
  14. I love Tracey's blog and work! She cracks me up every week. I know love knowing the history behind the person! Super talented!
    cheers and thanks for sharing! I want the zine now!!!
    dana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The zine is coming along slowly slowly, but I am having such fun with it... maybe too much!!!! thanks for the kind words...xx

      Delete
  15. Yay Tracey..always wonderful hearing more about you..you are a shining star..beautiful soul.. and I am a fan and LOVE all of your gorgeous work..your blog is always a pleasure to visit and I look forward to more of what you share! I am also excited about your new zine..yay..can't wait!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria... I think it is a pleasure to visit your wonderful work every week also...xx

      Delete
  16. so nice to learn more about Tracey!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful interview about Tracey ~ Thanks for hosting as always ! (A Creative Harbor) ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  18. such a wonderful artist she is and such a wonderful blogging friend to have, thank you for hosting and this wonderful interview

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are a fabulous blogging buddy as well... after all you have moosies in your neck of the woods... xx

      Delete
  19. Great interview with Tracey! What a wonderful sense of humor and the art is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love Tracey's art - so glad to read this interview and know more about her. PPF rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fabulous interview. I love everything that Tracy does- never imagined cutlery and crockery could look so glamorous. I will be first in the queue if she ever does an online course! Happy PPF to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually spent some time drawing cutlery yesterday and didn't want to post it because i thought people would be sick of it.... thanks for the kind words...xx

      Delete
  22. Hello I LOVE your work Tracey, your lovely cups so colorful and full of life and I enjoy reading all your posts, so this is great to see you here as the featured artist of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great interview! Amazing art Tracey! Enjoyed getting to know more about you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay, it's Tracey!! Can't believe she hasn't been featured before!

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh wow!!! love all of her amazing work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great interview! Another fan of Tracey's here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. WHOO HOO!! Tracey is one of my favorite-ist artists and her wit and humor make me happy with every post!! So happy to see her featured here today! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I will come back to read Tracey's interview - she makes me laugh loudly and I don't want to scare my family!! Love her art and her wonderful sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. scaring your family should be a priority in my books... I try to do it as often as I can...xx

      Delete
  29. LOVE Tracey's work! Such inspiration! So glad I popped in to join in this week's Paint Party. Looking forward to seeing what everyone's been up to!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yay Tracey!!!! Ive been waiiting for ever to see your interview loved reading about your fun travel filled art fun life!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel filled it was... the four years based in Florida were especially amazing though it is great to be home and more settled... after all I get to paint now... I did miss it over those years...xx

      Delete
  31. I love Tracey's art and blog. Her art is so lovely and her sense of humor is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've met Tracey since starting as a follower of this blog PPF this round and she knows I love her tea cups, her drawing and painting style and her wonderful sense of humor. Trips to her blog are fun and enjoyable. And stimulation and inspiration for the artists eye! I also like talking to Tracey...she is friendly and helpful! Way to go Tracey!!!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Lisa and Lynn... feeling pretty special right now...xx

      Delete
  32. Tracey! so fun to see you here, interesting to read about you! :) and you know I admire your drawings!! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Viola... I have been enjoying getting to know you through your blog also...xx

      Delete
  33. Awesome work Tracey! She really should write a book because her words are as much fun as her art. Okay, so it must be a picture book, my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing a book would be great... of course Phantom and Sinus would probably want to disown me... or threaten to sue me or some such thing... they are such party poopers some times...xx

      Delete
  34. I have been a follower and fan of tracey for some time. I love her freshness in her art.
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Peggy... we have been following each other for quite a while now...xx

      Delete
  35. What an interesting and fun interview..... I love sharing these journeys

    I'm already looking forward to the zine...

    I love Tracey's style of art and her (very amusing) blog and Kristin and Eva at PPF for being such great hosts

    Karenx

    Karenx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Karen... the questions were fun to answer... maybe you should jump in and do one!!!!

      Delete
  36. Love Tracey's art and loved the interview! I would be happy to take an online class from you some day!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm already a fan of Tracey's and follow her blog and on facebook. Loved the interview! I would be interested in online classes too!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  38. Tracey's blog is my utmost favourite of all time. The best thing is, she is just as crazy in person. Luv ya Trace.
    Von

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think I'm mad... I know you remember!!!!!
      T xx

      Delete
  39. Great featured artist! I love Tracey's work, and consider her one of my most blogging friends. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete